Are you seeing High CPU Usage by Compattelrunner.exe in Task Manager?
You don’t know what even is Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and what’s the purpose of CompatTelrunner.exe in my System?
First of all, you don’t need to worry much because you are not alone in this and many users complained that it’s acting as malware sometimes and were really frustrated at Microsoft due to Compattelrunner.exe high CPU usage on Windows 11.
We have compiled a list of the best solutions for you to fix the CompatTelrunner.exe high CPU usage
Before going to the fix there will be some important questions regarding the CompatTelrunner exe error that might be in your mind.
What is Compattelrunner.exe?
Compattelrunner.exe is an executable file and stands for Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and was introduced in Windows 7, 8, and can also be found in the latest versions of Windows 10 and 11.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collects usage and performance data and sends it to Microsoft IP addresses so that the Windows device can be secured and the user experience can be improved.
Compattelrunner.exe is allocated in C:/Windows/System32/ folder and the file size is almost 141 KB.
So, whenever Compattelrunner exe will send user data to Microsoft IP addresses it’s obvious it would use high disk/CPU and disabling it will lead to malfunctioning of other systems related to Windows OS.
Should I disable CompatTelRunner exe?
I won’t recommend you to disable CompatTelrunner.exe as all the data collected for your systems security and good user experience won’t be collected anymore once stopped also your OS won’t be secure much.
And if CompatTelrunner.exe is using a lot of your CPU resources then disabling is the only option.
Also Read: FIXED: WaasMedic Agent.exe High Disk Usage?
Is CompatTelRunner exe a virus?
Compattelrunner exe is totally safe as Compattelrunner.exe is a legitimate program digitally signed by Microsoft Corporation and most users have not found it safe.
As it is legitimate so hackers might attack the program to make changes and carry out their illegal activities through CompatTelrunner.exe.
Moreover, if you are a Windows XP user and if you see this Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process running on your PC then it’s an unwanted program as this file no longer works there.
Also, we can clear our doubt that Compattelrunner.exe is a virus or not by checking the file location as it should be located in its default file location when it was originally developed.
But still, to be on the safe side you can check if there’s a virus or not through Task Manager:
- Press together Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Go to Details and look for Compattelrunner.exe
- Also on your right side under the description column make sure the name is correct.
- Right-click on it and select Open file location.
- If it is located at C:\Windows\System32
And if it’s not in the given address then it might be a virus or spyware so my advice is for you to run a full system scan with the help of your anti-virus program installed on your PC.
Video Guide: Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
Solution 1: Disable Allow Telemetry Via Local Group Policy Editor
There are four levels of the Windows Telemetry program on Windows 10/11 and they are Security, Basic, Enhanced, and Full.
So to fix Compattelrunner.exe high CPU usage you need to run it on the basic level/disable it with the help of a local group policy editor.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Press Windows Key + R to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter
- In the Local Group Policy Editor double-click on the Computer Configuration located at the left pane.
- Now you will see a number of folders below and double-click on the Administrative Templates.
- After that double-click on Windows Components.
- Now scroll down to locate the Data Collection and Preview Builds folder and when you find it just click on it.
- In the Data Collection and Preview Builds, you see a few options on the right and you have to choose to Allow Telemetry
- Right-click on Allow Telemetry and select Edit.
- Click on Disabled and then Click on Apply and OK.
- Now restart your PC and check if Compattelrunner.exe high CPU usage is gone or not.
Having a High CPU Error CHECK OUT: What is Acrord32.exe?
Solution 2: Disable CompatTelrunner From Registry Editor
If you are Windows 8 or Windows 10/11 Home Edition user you can use the registry editor to disable Compattelrunner and get rid of Compattelrunner.exe high CPU usage.
So, here’s what you need to do:
- Press Windows Key + R to launch the Run dialogue box.
- Type regedit and press Enter
- In the Registry Editor window double-click on the computer icon.
- You will see a number of folders and you need to double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Now you need to double-click on Software and then look for the Policies folder.
- After clicking on the Policies folder double-click on Microsoft > Windows.
- Click on the Data Collection and right-click on the right empty space.
- Now name the new folder Allow Telemetry and press Enter.
- Double-click on the Allow Telemetry folder and type 0 in the Value data
- And click OK to save changes and check if Compattelrunner.exe high CPU usage is solved or not.
If the above solution didn’t fix Compattelrunner.exe High CPU Usage you need to follow the next solution.
Solution 3: Disable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser From Task Scheduler
Disabling and tasks related to Compattelrunner.exe will fix high disk usage.
So here’s how you can disable Compattelrunner through Task Scheduler:
- Click on the Search icon located below in the Taskbar.
- Type Task Scheduler and click to Open it.
- From the left pane double-click on Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft.
- Again double-click on Windows > Application Experience
- In the right pane check for Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and right-click on it and select Disable.
- After restarting your PC check if Compattelrunner.exe High disk Usage is fixed.
Solution 4: Performing a Clean Boot Using MSConfig to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Clean boot will help you to eliminate the unnecessary applications which are running on the backend.
Also, it will help fix Compattelrunner.exe and will replace the corrupted file that is helping in high CPU usage.
And shut down any applications which are conflicting with each other.
Here is how to perform a Clean Boot:
- Press Windows Button + R Key
- The Run Dialogue Box will appear
- Type “msconfig“ and press Enter.
- The System Configuration window will open
- In the General tab uncheck Load system services and Load startup items box as this will only use services issued by Microsoft when your PC will reboot.
- Now Select the Service tab and uncheck all the unnecessary service
- Only check those who are not using high CPU usage
- And your clean boot is done and the unnecessary services are eliminated
- After restarting your PC your Compattelrunner.exe error on Windows 11 will be fixed.
Solution 5: Perform a System File Check
Sometimes the damaged file can lead to CompatTelrunner.exe high CPU usage on Windows 11 and your program will be unable to run.
So, the Sfc(System file checker) helps you scan the errors and replaces them if CompatTelrunner.exe replicated itself.
Here’s what you need to do to fix the CompatTelrunner exe high CPU usage:
- Open Command Prompt as an Administrator, press Windows Key + X
- Or, search “Command Prompt” in the Startup menu, then choose Run as administrator
- Type “sfc /scannow”
- Be careful with the spaces between commands.
- This action may take up to 20 minutes so don’t interrupt it.
- After that restart your PC and check if CompatTelrunner.exe high CPU usage is solved or not.
Also Read: MMC.exe Error Blocked
Solution 6: Update Windows 11 to Fix CompatTelrunner.exe High Disk Usage
Sometimes your outdated PC is the main cause of the CompatTelrunner.exe high Disk usage
For the best performance of your PC, you need to make sure that your Windows OS is up to date.
and with new updates, the bugs or errors like Compattelrunner.exe and high disk usage will be fixed.
So, here is how you can update your Windows 11 OS:
- Click on the Windows icon
- Click on the Settings icon and a new window will pop up
- Select Windows Update from the left menu
- The new window will pop up
- Then click on Check for updates button.
- If there is any update it will start updating the PC
- It will take some time to update Windows OS and after that, you can restart your PC.
If the above solution didn’t work you can move on to the next one for fixing Compattelrunner.exe
Also Read: TOASTER.EXE Failed
Solution 7: Scan For Virus and Threats to Fix Compattelrunner.exe
When you download something from a malicious website you may download a virus with it.
Although you have an antivirus installed on your PC still it can’t protect your system 100%.
Also, it can lead to Compattelrunner.exe High disk/CPU/Network usage.
So, to overcome Compattelrunner.exe High disk Usage in Windows 11 it’s best to scan for viruses using the Windows 11 built-in virus protection software.
- Click on the Search icon
- Select Settings.
- Now click on Privacy & security > Windows Security
- Select Virus & threat protection and click on Quick scan.
- Wait for the scan to finish and it will let you know how to deal with the virus either remove or block it.
- Then restart your PC to see Compattelrunner.exe High Disk is fixed.
So, these are the best fixes we could get for you in fixing Compattelrunner.exe High CPU usage in Windows 11 and
Disabling perfmon.exe from your system is not that much of an easy job and also we don’t recommend it to so that’s why we have provided you with the best possible solutions.
It’s best you try all the solutions and if you have any other fix related to Compattelrunner exe high disk usage or any type of question then just let us know in the comment section below.
Is it safe to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry?
It’s not safe to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry as many services are depending on but if it’s using too much GPU and making things slow don then you can disable it.
Why does CompatTelRunner exe crash?
CompatTelRunner exe crashes due to corrupted files or sometimes the data usage it wants to collect is corrupted.
Is CompatTelRunner exe safe?
Compattelrunner.exe is not a virus unless it replicates itself or harms your computer so it’s totally safe.
Where is Compattelrunner.exe located?
Compattelrunner.exe is allocated in C:\Windows\System32 where it was store default when developed