Launched Discord, and all you see is the Discord Logo Rotating Endlessly with an error message Discord Update Failed? Windows? Or even on your Phone?
And it’s pretty normal to be confused about Why is Discord not Updating?
It can feel like Discord is stuck checking for updates forever.
A user on Reddit also faced the same issue and looks really frustrated.
But, No need to worry as the backbone of this issue is the Discord installer/update as there’s a bug in the update which causes this issue.
MacOS User? Here’s a Complete Guide to Fix Discord Update Failed Mac Issue
You might have been stuck on this screen/window where the Discord Icon keeps on spinning and reports a failed update.
The upcoming solutions help you in fixing the Discord update failed loop on PC.
Why is my Discord stuck on checking for Updates?
There are 3 reasons that can cause Discord stuck on Updating, and it Keeps on Updating Forever.
- A Corrupted/Outdated Cache is also a reason to Fix Discord Stuck at updating.
- Secondly, a network glitch can cause incomplete downloaded updates that discord tries to install, and discord update fails to result in a loop.
- The most reported reason is that Discord lacks administrator-level privileges to take some actions and install the latest Discord updates properly.
If this doesn’t Upcoming are 9 different ways explained in detail that actually work to fix the Discord update loop.
The upcoming solutions guide you on how you can Fix your cache by deleting AppData, Fix Network Issues, and giving administrator-level privileges as well.
Troubleshooting FlowChart to Diagnose Where the Actual Issue Lies
Just follow these solutions if you are wondering How to Fix Discord not updating?
How do I fix Discord Update Failed Loop? [Windows 11/10/7]
We have compiled a video to fix the Discord Update Failed Loop / Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates issue.
Before trying any other solution,
- Restart your PC/laptop to fix the Discord Update Loop Failed Error. Windows OS tends to have some glitches sometimes with the software that can be sorted with a restart.
- Additionally, reboot your Wifi or connect to a better network.
Solution 1: Check Discord Server Status
Sometimes the issue lies in the server as too many visitors make the servers overloaded leading to the Discord update failed loop PC
So, you need to check for Discord status:
- Go to Discord Status’s official website
- Now you will be able to see the issues for the past 24 hours and you will be able to know if the server is down or not.
- Moreover, you will be able to report the issue from there too.
If you are still having the error then continue to the next solution.
Solution 2: Run Discord As Administrator to Fix Downloading Update 1 of 1 Discord
So here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Task Manager and End all tasks related to Discord
- Go to your Desktop and look for the Discord shortcut
- Right-click on the Discord icon and you will see “Run as administrator“
- Click on Run as administrator and after giving the permission
- Discord will launch and the update will begin without any discord update loop issue
Also Read: FIXED: Discord Server Channels Not Showing In 7 Easy Ways
Solution 3. Rename the Update.exe file
To fix the issue and successfully update Discord to the latest version, you can try renaming the update.exe file. This should help resolve the problem and allow you to update the application.
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard and paste in “C:\Users\Username\AppData” without quotation marks. Make sure to replace your Username with your local account username.
- Open File Explorer > Local folder > Discord folder
- Right-click on the Update.exe file, and choose Rename.
- Type in UpdateX.exe (keep in mind that this is case-sensitive) and hit Enter. You may proceed to try running Discord again, preferably as an administrator following the guide above.
Solution 4: Reinstall Discord by deleting AppData contents as well on Windows 11
Complete Guide To Discord – Everything you need to know!
Most users reported this method has been solved by fixing Discord Not Updating.
Sometimes the solution lies in the app as many features update regularly so why not uninstall Discord and update it by downloading a new version.
Simply follow these steps”
- Go to the Task Manager and End all tasks related to Discord
- Press Windows+R and a Run command box will appear
- Type “appwiz.cpl” in the command box and press Enter
- A Control Panel/Program/Programs and Feature window will appear and look for Discord in it
- After finding it Right-click on Discord and select uninstall
- Hold Windows Key + R
- Type “%appdata% “and press Enter which will show you all the app folder that contains their Contents such as cache
- Locate the Discord folder and delete it. If you can’t find a discord folder, it can be possibly hidden. Select View from the top bar and check the Hidden Items option
- Now install the latest version of Discord and restart your PC again
If this doesn’t fix your update loop then try to disable your Windows defender.
Also Read: How to Integrate your Twitch Account into a Discord Server?
Solution 5: Disable Windows Defender
So, if you are a Windows 11 user then disabling Windows defender will fix your Discord downloading update 1 of 1 stuck.
As its purpose is to keep your PC virus free which can replace files that are a threat.
Let’s disable them:
- Press the Windows key and type Settings and run it.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Now click Windows Security > Virus & Threat protection > Manage Settings.
- Toggle off Real-time protection.
- Save and Exit
- Install Discord again.
Also Read: How To Install Discord on Steam Deck in 4 Easy Steps
Solution 6: Temporarily Disable your Antivirus
Sometimes the third-party antivirus you installed is preventing you from launching Discord.
So, you need to disable the antivirus for a few minutes to check if the antivirus is leading to the Discord update loop.
In order, to disable the antivirus follow the step below :
- Select the arrow button on the taskbar a Small menu will open.
- Then click left on the Avast antivirus icon.
- The setting menu will open select ” Avast shield control “
- In a further menu, you will select the “ Disable 10 minutes option“
- Now restart Discord.
Solution 7: Reinstall Discord
This is an alternative to Solution 4 as simply downloading a fresh installer might solve fixing discord not updating/stuck in the update loop issue.
So here are some short steps to Fix Discord Update Failed:
- Visit the Discord website to download the installer.
- Run the Discord installer and follow the given on-screen instructions.
Solution 8: Get a VPN
You can get blocked or your country’s server can face issues where VPNs can save you. VPNs route your internet connection through a secure server in a different location, which can help to bypass any network restrictions or blocks that might be preventing the Discord update from completing.
It’s always a good idea to use a credible VPN and here we have listed down some. We have added DISCOUNTED VPNS FOR TCG READERS
Solution 9: Contact Discord Support
The above-mentioned fixes have been reported to fix most of the user’s issues, but if you are still unable to update Discord on Windows 11/10, and if none of the above solutions worked, then contact Discord support.
Submit a Ticket to Fix Discord Update Failed Error
One of these 9 fixes must be able to make your discord back on track.
Do leave a comment and let me know which solution best suits you in fixing the Discord update failed loop.
How do I force Discord update?
To force Discord to Update, you need to Press Ctrl+R on your keyboard. This would result in Discord’s user interface reloading and refresh. Any new updates should be detected. Discord shall install them automatically.
Why is Discord 502 Bad Gateway?
502 Bad Gateway error on Discord means that you simply won’t be able to access discord and is due to one of the servers you are connected to. As it is a server-based error, you can do nothing but wait for the Discord team to solve it. Usually, the Discord team is very speedy in this and should be resolved soon.
Why is Discord not updating on Windows PC?
Discord might not be able to update on a PC as a Discord cache on your Windows be potentially causing a problem where it glitches with the new version. Try deleting your AppData and then updating discord.