Are you tired of running out of space? Here is your complete guide on how to install & format a Micro SD card on Steam Deck.
Handheld gaming consoles are bound to have specific storage variants like 64, 256, or 512GB. You must rely on a micro SD card to extend the storage device. If you want to completely format your micro SD card on Steam Deck, we have a simple method for you. The CPU-intensive games requiring 100+ gigabytes of space these days may keep you in a limited range of titles to install.
However, the standard microSD card may not support the ext4 format (Linux Format), which is compatible with Steam OS for transferring ROMs or files on Steam Deck. Therefore, we have mentioned the steps you must follow to install & format a Micro SD card on Steam Deck.
How to Install SD Card in Steam Deck
- Insert the MicroSD card into Steam Deck’s slot on the bottom right side of the console.
- Gently push in the SD card.
- Wait until the SD card icon appears on top of the screen on your console.
Once the SD card icon appears on top of the screen, the micro SD card has been installed successfully on Steam Deck.
How to Format Micro SD card
- Press the ‘Steam’ button to open the main menu.
- Open Settings and go to the Systems tab.
- Scroll down to the System Settings section.
- Press the ‘Format’ button written next to the Format SD card option.
- Select ‘Confirm’ to format the SD card.
After a few minutes of checking, your micro SD card will be ready to use, exchange data and install games.
How to Install Games on SD Card Steam Deck
If you want to install games directly on SD cards only, here are the steps you need to follow.
- Go to Settings and scroll down to the ‘Storage’ tab.
- You’ll see ‘Internal Drive’ and ‘Micro SD’ options in the top section.
- Select the SD Card and press the ‘X’ button to set it as the default storage type.
Whether you have set the default storage for an SD card or not, whenever you install a game with an SD card in your Steam Deck console, you will always see the option to store it with an SD card or internal storage.
Steam Deck allows you to save games on an SD card and internal storage to utilize space more efficiently. Especially with a wide range of free games for Steam Deck, it is hard to miss out on our favorite titles. Hopefully, our guide will help you install all your favorite games on SD card without running out of space.