Ratopia, the much-anticipated game, has taken the gaming world by storm with its captivating storyline and addictive gameplay. However, many Steam Deck users have recently encountered a frustrating issue – the game crashing unexpectedly. This unexpected crash has left players longing for a solution to continue their thrilling adventures in Ratopia. In this article, we will delve into some basic checks and provide potential solutions to tackle this issue, ensuring uninterrupted gameplay for Steam Deck users. So, let’s dive right in and discover how to overcome this crashing problem in Ratopia and get back to enjoying the immersive gaming experience it offers.
Solution 1: Basic Checks
Before trying anything else, it’s wise to check off some things.
- You should check if Ratopia is compatible with Steam Deck.
- Are there any mods or something extra you have installed on your device? It’s important to have official/well-maintained files running on your Steam Deck to keep it clean.
- If the game itself is running fine, check their official channels or forums.
- Your internet connection is fine.
- Your Steam Deck is not overheating.
- Most of the errors are avoided just by this simple technique due to software glitches. The next thing you need to do is force reboot your console to overcome Ratopia shutdown.
Just follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds and if it doesn’t respond then it’s your software issue
- To fix this Press and hold the Power button for at least 12 seconds
- This will give a force restart to your console
Solution 2: Disconnect and reinsert the Micro SD Card
If Ratopia is on your SD card then first you should try to reinsert the SD Card, else disconnect the micro SD card from your Deck, and try to run another game.
If you don’t face Ratopia not opening while playing in internal storage then the issue is probably in your SD card.
So, it’s best for you to check the current SD Card in another device and replace the micro SD card with a new one.
Alternatively, install the primary game on your internal memory.
Solution 3: Re-Initialize DNS
I know this might sound extra but I had to include it as some users have fixed their issue by changing the DNS settings as the crashing could be due to the network. Yes, this helps if your FPS drops randomly too.
This has also helped users solve lagging issues on Ratopia
Re-initializing DNS is simple:
- Hold the Steam Deck power button to bring up the power menu.
- Then select Switch to Desktop to switch over to the Linux desktop.
- Make sure the desktop version of Steam is running.
- Now click on the Wi-Fi icon located at the bottom right and then click Configure Network Connection
- Click on your current connection and then select IPv4
- Change the Method from Automatic to Manual
- In the DNS Servers, we are going to enter the DNS separated by commas to match the Google DNS.
- To add, remove or modify the DNS manually you need to click on the Edit icon as shown in the picture below
- And manage them from the window that appears
- You can do the same steps with IPv6 if you want to change its DNS settings
Solution 4: Update the Steam deck
One of the most common reasons for not opening is an outdated SteamOS version causing compatibility issues.
To check if you are using the latest OS of Steam on Steam Deck, you need to:
- Tap on the Steam Button to open the sidebar
- Go to Settings
- Find System (second option)
- A yellow icon will appear that will tell you if an update is available and what’s new
- Click on Apply and Restart the Steam deck to complete the update.
- Repeat the process to see if there’s any other update pending until it says it is up to date
If you are unable to update your Steam deck, consider checking our Steam Deck Not Updating guide to help you.
Solution 5: Change Proton Version
Steam Deck uses Proton as a compatibility layer that enables the console to run PC games.
There are multiple collections of high-performance graphic APIs and Wine working together to make it work.
There’s a different proton version available for each game and sometimes one proton version works for one game and the other works for the other game.
How to Change the Proton Version in Steam Deck?
To change the proton version, you need to select your game
- Then go to Settings of the game
- Now go to Properties
- In the left sidebar, choose the second option: Compatibility
- In the new menu opened check the box presented
- You’ll find Proton Experimental
- Tap on it to find all the versions you can select from.
Solution 6: Reset Steam Deck
To reset Steam Deck from the console itself is one of the easiest ways:
- Press the Steam Button to open Settings
- In System Menu, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Factory Reset button
- This will take the Steam Deck back to its original state without anything in its memory.
This will help you clear any cache/storage/software-related issues that may be causing your game to crash on Steam Deck.
If this is also not helping then it’s either a game or sadly a hardware issue you are facing, as faulty Steam Decks are common but repairs/returns are not a big hassle if you are in a supported country.
Solution 7: Contact Steam Deck Support
If you cannot get rid of Ratopia not opening on Steam Deck after resetting or force rebooting, you should contact Steam Deck support and ask them to perform the necessary repairs on the console. Check in the game discussion forums or comment here if you are still facing an issue, and I’d be happen to help you.
In conclusion, although the crashing issue in Ratopia on the Steam Deck can be disheartening for players, there are several potential solutions that can be explored. By performing basic checks such as updating your system’s drivers, verifying the game’s integrity, and adjusting graphic settings, you can increase the stability and smoothness of your gaming experience. Additionally, considering factors like available storage space and system memory play a crucial role in ensuring optimal gameplay. It’s important to remember that every gaming setup is unique, and while these solutions may work for some, they may not be the definitive fix for everyone. So, experiment with these suggestions and reach out to the developers for further assistance if needed. With these solutions at your disposal, you can now conquer the crashing issues in Ratopia and fully immerse yourself in the captivating world it has to offer. Happy gaming!