It has been almost 6 months with my Steam Deck but recently whenever I try to update my Deck I was welcomed with this error message
An error was encountered during the update process
I know this can be frustrating for users who want to ensure that their device is running smoothly and has the latest features on Steam Deck and due to this many of them reported too.
In this article, we will explore the possible reasons why your Steam Deck may not be updating and provide solutions to help you troubleshoot the issue
Also Read: Can’t Connect Your Steam Deck to Steam Server?
Why isn’t my Steam Deck Updating?
There could be several reasons why a Steam Deck may not be updating or is stuck on updates. Some of the common causes are:
- Not enough space on the hard drive;
- Your internet connection might be poor
- May not update if there are pending system updates that need to be installed first
- Corrupted download files
- The Steam client may have issues that prevent it from updating to the latest version.
Solution 1: Steam Deck Update Error? Hard Reset Steam Deck
Many users were able to get over Steam Deck Install stuck at 1 second for about an hour after hard resetting the steam deck a couple of times and then waiting for some as suggested by a user in the Steam Community
Just follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button for at least 12 seconds
- Press the power button once to turn the console back on.
- Now connect your Steam Deck to the internet and the updates will start to download.
If you are still facing Steam Deck update stuck then continue to the next solution.
Solution 3: Starting Steam Deck Update Download Stuck? Restart your Router
Restarting your router will allow you to establish a new connection with your ISP without any bugs
Just follow the steps below:
- Turn off your router completely by taking out the power cable from the power switch
- Now leave it for 2 minutes and then plug it back in
- And check for your internet connection.
After checking the internet connection try downloading the update again
Solution 4: Change to a Different Network/Hotspot
Some users reported a Steam Deck update error when connecting to a particular network, such as their home Wi-Fi, but it goes away when they switch to a different network.
If you’re using your home or office network to update Steam Deck, try switching to mobile data hotspot to see if it works.
Still, facing Steam Deck not updating?
Then try the last solution.
Solution 5: Contact Steam Deck
If you cannot get rid of the Steam Deck stuck on checking for available updates after force rebooting and other solutions then you should contact Steam Deck and ask them to perform the necessary repairs on the console.
And if you face any hurdles while trying the solutions then do let us know in the comments section below.
We will be happy to assist you!