Recently my PS5 was crashing constantly while playing Hogwarts Legacy and it got me so frustrated as I just bought the game and literally, I spend the whole day figuring it out but eventually, I got it fixed
And I know you are having the same issue as many users have reported it too
But don’t worry as we have we have compiled a list of solutions to solve your PS5 Freezing.
Why does my PlayStation 5 keep freezing and crashing?
Your PS5 keeps crashing/Freezing due to many reasons but here are some common ones:
- Rest Mode is enabled: Your PS5 leading to random crashes is due to the rest mode that is enabled by default so it’s best you disable it.
- PS5 Power Cord damaged: The damaged power cord of the PS5 will result in no proper power supply reaching the console leading to PS5 crashing/freezing.
- Outdated PS5 software: Your console may be running on outdated firmware so, it’s best to update PS5 to the latest firmware.
- Rebuild the PS5 database: Sometimes the system database can become corrupted, which can cause crashes.
- Game software issues: If the game software is outdated, corrupt, or has bugs, it can cause the game to freeze and crash.
Also Read: How to Reset PS5
Solution 1: Restart PS5
Whenever you encounter PS5 keeps freezing or even if it’s a game bug/glitch, you should try restarting your PS5.
Restarting the console will eliminate any temporary errors/glitches occurring due to the old/corrupted cache.
So, here is how you can restart your PS5:
- Press the PlayStation (PS) button on your controller.
- From the menu shown, Select the Power option (right-most)
- From the small menu that will appear on the power icon, select the last option “Restart PS5”
- While your PS5 restarts, don’t unplug any cord to avoid any hardware failure.
Here’s a supporting video to restart PS5 for your ease:
Solution 2: Disable Rest Mode to Fix PS5 Frozen
Although the Rest Mode feature seems beneficial, it has been linked to PS5 crashing issues by a significant number of users. When attempting to resume the console from Rest Mode to check game downloads, some users have experienced console crashes.
As a result, many PS5 users have opted to disable the Rest Mode feature, which may also be worth considering if you encounter Horizon Zero Dawn crashing on your console.
- Go to the PS5 settings menu.
- Then go to System > Power Saving
- Now select Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- And select Don’t Put in Rest Mode to disable the feature
If you are still facing PS5 keeps freezing then continue to the next solution
Solution 3: Reconnect The Power Cable
This will power reset your PS5 and clear the corruption on your console.
Also, you will get to know How do I manually turn on my PS5?
So here’s how you can reconnect the power cable and manually turn on your PS5:
- Unplug the power cable from your PS5.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back into your console.
- Press the power button on your console and check if it works.
And make sure the cable is not damaged and if it then replaces it with a new one.
Solution 4: Rebuild PS5 Database
Rebuilding Database on PS5 allows the PS5 to sort out any issues related to its drivers that are causing crashing issues with your game.
- Press and hold the power button until you hear the second beep. This will boot your PS5 in Safe Mode.
- Connect the PS5 DualSense controller to a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- It may take a moment to display Safe Mode options. Select option 5: “Clear Cache and Rebuild Database“
- Select the second option: “Rebuild Database“
- Wait for the process to complete and your process will boot back.
This usually doesn’t take much time and here’s a demo video where we rebuild the database on our PS5 taking less than a minute and making it feel faster too.
Solution 5: Delete and Reinstall the Specific Game
The game file itself can be a suspected issue too and we can only know by deleting and reinstalling it. You’d have to sacrifice your time and internet speed for a while but let’s hope you resolveMinecrasft Freezing PS5 after this.
To reinstall, follow the steps below:
- Go to PS5 settings.
- Scroll down to Select Storage.
- Then select Console storage from the left sidebar and go to Games and Apps in the expanded menu.
- Now you will see a list of installed games and applications where you will select Crash from the game list and press the Delete button at the bottom right.
- Once your game is deleted, you need to reinstall it. If it’s a disc you own, you would directly insert it, else if you have purchased a digital edition, you need to go to Game Library (last option) from the Games home screen
- Select Your Collection from the three options under Game Library to search for your game and download it.
Some options can be difficult to navigate, so we have created a video for your ease where we delete a game and reinstall it.
Solution 6: Update Your PS5 Firmware
Sony releases new updates regularly to remain up-to-date with upcoming bugs and issues users face either while playing Hogwarts Legacy or some random bugs.
It’s highly recommended to have updated PS5 firmware. You can enable automatic updates and check for them manually as well.
There are 2 ways to update PS5 firmware:
- Through USB
This way you would need to download the update over the internet into a USB which is an inconvenient way than PlayStation updating itself.
- Through Internet
PlayStation searches for an update itself, downloads it, and installs it for you.
By default, automatic updates are enabled, and in case you are not sure, here’s how you can check if there’s a new update available and how to enable automatic updates on PS5 too using PS5 UI.
NOTE: Make sure the PS5 is connected to the internet.
- From the PS5 homepage, access Settings from the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Go to System
- Click on System Software from the left menu and choose the second option: System Software Update and Settings
- From the 2 options, select Update Using Internet.
- Now, wait for the system to check for updates and if it’s updating don’t try to turn off your PS5. In this case, the PS5 was already up-to-date.
Your PS5 should be with its latest update by now, and you can try running the game and see if it’s still frozen.
And if you want a video guide, here’s a quick video to update your PS5:
Solution 7: PS5 shutting off when playing games? Reset PS5
This is the final resort that you can take before you contact PlayStation and you have tried all other fixes. Being a PlayStation Plus member would make this easy for you as you would be able to save all your game’s progress which is really necessary for the hours of work that have been put in.
Resetting PS5 will completely wipe off everything from the console whether it’s a game, save data, or any other content.
So its best to backup data first on your cloud storage and here’s how you can do it:
- Go to Settings and then select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Now choose the type of data you want to backup:
- PS5 Data:
Select Saved Data (PS5) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS4 Data
Select Saved Data (PS4) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS5 Data:
- And PS5 will upload your saved game data.
After backing up your data, now you can Reset your PS5:
- Go to Settings
- Then go to System
- Select System Software from the left menu and Reset Options (the last item in the expanded menu)
- Select Reset Your Console and follow the on-screen instructions. Wait until PS5 will restart and you are directed to the setup process.
Here’s a video of this process.
Solution 8: Contact PS5 Support
If none of the above solutions work for you then there might be a chance that your PS5 has issues.
You can visit the PlayStation Official Website to get it repaired and choose the relevant issue which in your case would be according to PS5 frozen.
Make sure you tell all the solutions you have applied to your console and let them know the issue you are facing. This will help the support agent to identify the main reason for this error. They should reply to you ideally within 24 hours and if you don’t get any reply within 2-3 days, then you might need to make another support ticket.
FAQs to PS5 Frozen/Crashing
Can you unplug PS5 Frozen?
We won’t recommend you unplug a frozen PS5 as it might damage some hardware so it will be a loss to you
Why does Horizon zero dawn crashing PS5?
Horizon zero dawn crashing PS5 as your PS5 may be in rest mode so you need to disable the rest mode to fix PS5 Frozen
Why does my PS5 crash every time I start a game?
Your PS5 crashes everytime you start a game could be due to outdated game software