When you turn on your PS5, it should show a blue light that changes to white. If it keeps blinking blue with a black screen, your console is stuck and needs fixing. This can happen if the power goes out while playing, after using Rest Mode, downloading games, or changing to another TV.
However its important to fix this issue fast and we have compiled a list of 7 quick fixes in the guide below
What is the PS5 blue light of death?
The blue light of death is a blinking blue light in the center of the console which flashes on and off. And it usually refers to the console being frozen due to software corruption. Therefore, you may need to troubleshoot on your own before concluding that your PS5 is faulty.
What causes the PS5 blue light of death?
The blue light of death is caused due to the following reasons:
- Faulty solder joints under the APU on the motherboard.
- Your PS5 wasn’t shut down properly.
- The PS5 software is outdated.
- The console’s hard drive may be corrupted.
- HDMI cables are worn out
Best Video Guide For PS5 blinking blue light:
So here is a list of solutions that will help you solve PS5 blue light of death.
Solution 1: Check the Power Connection
Before diving into more complex solutions for the PS5 blue light of death issue, it’s essential to first examine the console’s power connection. If you find yourself stuck with the blue light, try disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable to ensure a proper connection. Additionally, consider cleaning the cable using a soft cloth. If the issue persists, test with an alternate power cable.
Solution 2: Check Your HDMI Cables and HDMI Ports
Change your HDMI cables because the PS5 blue light of death can be due to a hardware issue besides PS5 software.
Make sure you use 2.1 HDMI cables or sometimes labeled as High Speed
Let’s check if your PS5 cables are faulty and if they are the cause of the blue light of death
- Unplug your HDMI cables from the back of your both TV and PS5 .
- If you are thinking of buying a new one, first try switching the ends of HDMI cables.
- Plugin the HDMI cable of your PS5 into your TV and vice versa.
And if this didn’t work then unplug the power cable of your TV from the switch for 1 minute and then plug it back in as this has previously worked for users in fixing PS5 black screen too
Also, check if your cable is worn out or broken at some point then buy a new one.
Solution 3: Restart PS5 in Safe Mode
Occasionally, resolving the blue light of death can be as straightforward as rebooting in Safe Mode, where various troubleshooting tools are accessible. This easy solution is worth attempting.
To do so, simply follow the steps outlined below:
- Press and hold the power button until you hear the second beep. This will boot your PS5 in Safe Mode.
- Connect the PS5 DualSense controller to a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- It may take a moment to display Safe Mode options. Select option 1: “Restart PS5“
- Now you just need to wait until your PS5 console restarts.
Solution 4: Power Cycle Your PS5
This technique will completely shut down your PS5 making sure all the stored power is drained as well. It will recreate all the configurations before starting up.
So here’s how to power cycle PS5:
- Tap and Hold the power button on the console for at least 10 seconds OR beeps twice until it turns off completely.
- Then, unplug the power plug from the back of the console.
- Wait 15 to 20 minutes and plug your power cable back into your PS5. Turn your PS5 on and check if the blue light of death is still there on PS5.
Solution 5: Update Your PS5 Firmware
Sony releases new updates regularly to remain up-to-date with upcoming bugs and issues users face either while playing Blue Light or some random bugs.
It’s highly recommended to have updated PS5 firmware. You can enable automatic updates and check for them manually as well.
There are 2 ways to update PS5 firmware:
- Through USB
This way you would need to download the update over the internet into a USB which is an inconvenient way than PlayStation updating itself.
- Through Internet
PlayStation searches for an update itself, downloads it, and installs it for you.
By default, automatic updates are enabled, and in case you are not sure, here’s how you can check if there’s a new update available and how to enable automatic updates on PS5 too using PS5 UI.
NOTE: Make sure the PS5 is connected to the internet.
- From the PS5 homepage, access Settings from the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Go to System
- Click on System Software from the left menu and choose the second option: System Software Update and Settings
- From the 2 options, select Update Using Internet.
- Now, wait for the system to check for updates and if it’s updating don’t try to turn off your PS5. In this case, the PS5 was already up-to-date.
Your PS5 should be with its latest update by now.
And if you want a video guide, here’s a quick video to update your PS5:
Solution 6: PS5 blue screen of death? Reset PS5
This is the final resort that you can take before you contact PlayStation and you have tried all other fixes to blue light of death. Being a PlayStation Plus member would make this easy for you as you would be able to save all your game’s progress which is really necessary for the hours of work that have been put in.
Resetting PS5 will completely wipe off everything from the console whether it’s a game, save data or any other content.
So its best to backup data first on your cloud storage and here’s how you can do it:
- Go to Settings and then select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Now choose the type of data you want to backup:
- PS5 Data:
Select Saved Data (PS5) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS4 Data
Select Saved Data (PS4) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS5 Data:
- And PS5 will upload your saved game data.
After backing up your data, now you can Reset your PS5:
- Go to Settings
- Then go to System
- Select System Software from the left menu and Reset Options (the last item in the expanded menu)
- Select Reset Your Console and follow the on-screen instructions. Wait until PS5 will restart and you are directed to the setup process.
Here’s a video of this process.
Solution 7: Contact PS5 Support
If none of the above solutions work for you then there might be a chance that your PS5 has issues.
You can visit the PlayStation Official Website to get it repaired and choose the relevant issue which in your case would be according to the blue screen of death.
Make sure you tell all the solutions you have applied to your console and let them know the issue you are facing is due to the PS5 ring of death. This will help the support agent to identify the main reason for this error. They should reply to you ideally within 24 hours and if you don’t get any reply within 2-3 days, then you might need to make another support ticket
Why is the blue light flashing on and off on my PS5?
If the blue light on your PS5 is flashing on and off, it indicates that the console may be experiencing an issue known as the “blue light of death.”
How do I know if my PS5 is bricked?
Your PS5 does not power on or show any signs of life, even when you press the power button.
Can Sony Unbrick a PS5?
Yes, Sony or an authorized repair center can often unbrick a PS5, depending on the cause of the issue. If the problem is related to software or firmware, technicians can potentially restore the console using specialized tools or by reinstalling the system software