In 2023, Capcom released a remake of the 2005 survival horror game Resident Evil 4, now available on various platforms including PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, and Xbox Series X/S.
The game puts players in the shoes of special agent Leon S. Kennedy, tasked with rescuing the US president’s daughter from a religious cult in rural Spain. However, after the game’s launch, several players reported issues with the audio, including sound cutting out or not working.
If you’re experiencing similar problems, this troubleshooting guide can help you fix the Resident Evil 4 audio issues, including the crackling sound.
Solution 1: Restart the PC
When you experience an Audio Cutting Out/Crackling sound or any bug in your game, it’s recommended to start by restarting the computer before attempting any other fixes.
This is because restarting the computer can resolve any temporary errors caused by outdated cookies and cache or conflicts with other software on your system. Simply restarting the PC
Solution 2: Disable Nahimic Audio Driver
Nahimic is an audio driver that is often pre-installed on laptops, motherboards, and other devices to provide an enhanced audio experience. This driver is trusted by many users to optimize and fine-tune the audio performance of their computers.
However, if you are facing issues with your audio, such as crackling or sound cutting out, disabling the Nahimic audio driver may help resolve the issue.
Sure, here are the steps to disable the Nahimic audio driver from Task Manager:
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager
- Click on the Startup tab at the top of the Task Manager.
- Find the Nahimic audio driver in the list of startup programs.
- Right-click on Nahimic and select Disable from the context menu.
- Confirm the action when prompted.
- Restart your computer to allow the changes to take effect.
- Check if the audio issue has been resolved.
Solution 3: Verify the Game Files On Steam PC
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted, which eventually causes an Audio Cutting Out issue on the Resident Evil 4 Remake on PC.
Verify the Game File in Steam
Follow the steps to verify the game file on Steam software:
- Launch the Steam Software
- Now login in the steam
- Navigate to the library
- Select the game and right-click on the game
- Now select properties
- Now click on the “Local file” Option
- A further menu will open
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of the Game Cache“
- Now the software is verifying the files, and this will take some time.
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted that eventually causing an Audio Cutting Out issue on Steam.
Solution 4: Update the Sound Driver
Sometimes the audio drivers are outdated and cause audio issues and bugs with other software like games and audio tools. Some of the players also suggest updating the audio driver to just make sure is everything running fine on your PC.
Here is how you can update the sound driver on your PC:
- Click on the Search icon
- Type Device Manager
- Click to open Device Manager
- Then select the Audio inputs and outputs
- A further menu will open
- Right-click on the Speaker / Headphone name
- Click on the Update driver
Solution 5: Remove Resident Evil 4 Config
To troubleshoot and fix any issues you’re experiencing with Resident Evil 4, you can try removing the game’s configuration file from your PC. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Open File Explorer on your Windows PC and go to the C: drive where you have installed the game.
- Navigate to the following directory: username\documents\Resident Evil 4\settings.
- Find the Resident Evil 4 config file in this directory and delete it.
- Once you have deleted the config file, restart your PC to allow the changes to take effect.
- Launch the game again and check if the issue has been resolved.
By following these steps, you can remove the Resident Evil 4 config file from your PC to troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing with the game.
Solution 6: Check Wires of Audio Output
It’s essential to ensure that your audio output device and wires are correctly connected and plugged into the appropriate ports.
This is a simple yet effective troubleshooting step because users may sometimes forget or make mistakes in this regard. Therefore, it’s crucial to check the connections to rule out any issues related to incorrect wiring or connection.
Solution 7: Disconnect Other Peripherals
Another useful troubleshooting step is to disconnect any other peripherals and check if the audio issue persists. To identify the root cause of the problem, it’s recommended to use only a minimal number of external USB devices. By doing so, you can isolate the issue and determine whether it’s related to any specific peripheral or not.
Solution 8: Turn Off Windows Sonic or Spatial Sound
If your Windows PC has the Windows Sonic or Spatial Sound feature, it’s essential to disable it to troubleshoot any audio issues with Resident Evil 4 remake. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Press Windows + I
- Click on System and then the Sound option
- Scroll down and select “More Sound Settings“
- Choose a playback device and select Properties
- Click on Spatial Sound and choose Windows Sonic for Headphones in the Spatial Sound format
- Finally, select Apply and restart your PC to apply the changes
By disabling the Windows Sonic or Spatial Sound feature in this way, you can troubleshoot and fix any audio issues you’re experiencing with Resident Evil 4 remake on your Windows PC.
Solution 9: Keep your PC Updated
Keeping your PC updated is crucial for ensuring that your device runs smoothly and securely. With new updates and patches being released frequently, it’s important to stay up-to-date to avoid potential security vulnerabilities, performance issues, and software compatibility problems.
So, here is how you can update your PC:
- Click on the Windows icon
- Click on the Settings icon
- A new window will pop up
- Select Windows Update from the left menu
- The new Windows will pop up
- Then click on Check for updates.
- If there is any update it will start updating the PC.
Hopefully, the audio-cutting issue on RE4R is solved.
If you still have any queries or suggestions, share your experience with us in the comments section down below or you can reach us on our social handles.