Are you experiencing OpenGL Error 1281 Minecraft?
Every time you open Minecraft, the chat keeps popping up OpenGL Error 1281?
The OpenGL is a setting inside Minecraft to enhance game performance and enables the game to run smoother on PC. So, by default, the OpenGL is On but some users experience errors while playing the game such as OpenGL Error 1281.
So continue to the guide to fix your problem.
What are the Causes of OpenGL Error 1281 Minecraft?
Sometimes due to fully loaded mods in Minecraft, you see an error message on your screen saying “OpenGL Error 1281”
So, here are some main causes for OpenGL Error 1281 Minecraft:
- OptiFine: The OptiFine is used to enhance the gameplay and if it’s outdated then it can lead to GL error so, it’s best to keep it updated.
- Shaders issue: As you import shaders into moded Minecraft sometimes the data can be corrupted so, try to remove the shaders.
- Java Update: Minecraft comes with the java version and if some of the files of Java are not installed properly or the Java version is outdated then this can lead to OpenGL Error 1281 too.
Solution 1: Power Cycle Your Router
Sometimes the OpenGL Error 1281 occurs due to an unstable internet connection when launching Minecraft so, it’s best to power cycle your router.
All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Turn off your router completely by taking out the power cable from the power switch
- Now leave it for 5 to 10 minutes and then plug it back in
- And check if the connection interrupted is fixed
Make sure you restart those devices which are affected in the process for an accurate fix.
Moreover, try to use a wired connection for a stable internet connection which will help you get over Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281.
Moving on to the next solution to get over Minecraft OpenGL Error.
Solution 2: Run Minecraft as Administrator to Fix OpenGL Error 1281
Minecraft may not be able to utilize all the resources because of restricted access so make sure that administrator privileges are granted.
- Navigate to the main directory where Minecraft is installed
- Locate the main game executable.
- Right-click on it and select properties.
- In properties Window, click on compatibility check the box next to “Run this program as an administrator”
Restart your computer and run Minecraft again to see if this works or not to fix OpenGL Error 1281.
Solution 3: Update Graphics Driver on Windows 11 through Device manager
So, it’s best to make sure that your graphic drivers are updated in order to overcome Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281.
You can use this technique to update other outdated drivers too.
Here’s how you can check for updates:
- Click on the Search icon
- Type Device Manager
- Click to open Device Manager
- Then select the Display adapters
- A further menu will open
- Right-click on the graphic driver you are using.
- Click on the Update driver
- And then select Search automatically for drivers.
- After the updates are done restart your PC and check if Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281 is fixed.
If updating your driver didn’t help you fix OpenGL Error Minecraft then continue to remove Minecraft shaders.
Solution 4: Removing All the Minecraft Shaders
Minecraft shaders are mods that allow players to enhance their gameplay from basic Minecraft gameplay. Minecraft shaders main work is to do improvements of game visuals, graphic settings and make Minecraft more realistic.
There are many shaders right now that players are using but some shaders are causing Minecraft crashing and some players experiencing OpenGL Error 1281.
So, if you are using a lot of shaders then you need to disable them one by one.
If you don’t know how to disable the Minecraft shaders then continue to follow the steps below:
- Open Minecraft and click on the Menu button.
- Select Options
- After that click on the Video Settings option
- Now click on the Shaders button.
- After that click on the OFF button from the top of the Shaders page
- And then click Done and your Minecraft Shaders will be disabled completely and you can check if OpenGL Error Minecraft is solved or not.
Solution 5: Disable Mods to Solve OpenGL Error Minecraft
Minecraft players download mods to enhance their game experience. But mods can also cause several Minecraft issues including Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281. Disable all the mods or move the mods folder from the Minecraft directory to another one to fix OpenGL Error Minecraft.
If your game works perfectly fine after uninstalling all the mods, then the OpenGL Error 1281 is caused by the mods.
And if you are still encountering OpenGL Error then continue to update Java.
Solution 6: Update your Java to Fix Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281
Java is a programming language and Minecraft is written in Java. Whenever you download Minecraft on your PC, the Java file will be downloaded automatically.
Why is Minecraft Java not loading?
Updated java is important for Minecraft players. An outdated version of java causes java not to load which leads to Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281, which is why you have to make sure that you are running the latest version of java every time to fix Minecraft OpenGL Error.
Here’s how you can update your Java to fix OpenGL Error 1281:
- Go to the official website of Java.
- Now select the platform of your choice on which you want to update Java.
- Download the latest Java and after downloading the file
- Click on the file and install it by following on-screen prompt instructions
- After that, restart your PC and check if OpenGL Error 1281 is fixed or not.
Solution 7: Disable Show GL Errors
If updating your Java didn’t help you in fixing OpenGL Error 1281 Minecraft then you need to disable the Show GL.
Luckily Minecraft has a built-in facility to disable OpenGL errors so, just follow the steps to disable Show GL errors:
- Launch the Minecraft application, and then click the menu button.
- Click on the Video Settings option
- Now, click on the Show GL Errors and then disable it.
- And click on the Save button to restart your Minecraft.
- After restarting, check if Minecraft OpenGL Error is solved or not.
Solution 8: Update OptiFine for Minecraft
To increase the FPS in Minecraft users mostly use OptiFine mod for better gaming but sometimes outdated OptiFine can lead to OpenGL Error 1281.
So here’s how you can Update OptiFine for Minecraft:
- Go to OptiFine official website.
- Select the latest version of OptiFine and Download it.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to install OptiFine on your PC
- After installation, restart your PC and check if Minecraft OpenGL Error is fixed.
Solution 9: Reinstalling Minecraft to Fix OpenGL Error 1281
If none of the above solutions have worked for you then the least you can do is reinstall Minecraft but make sure you back up all of your data before uninstalling as all the data will be erased if it’s not backed up.
So, all you have to do is uninstall Minecraft, clear the temporary files, and then reinstall it.
How do you reinstall Minecraft?
Just follow the steps below to reinstall Minecraft:
- Go to Local Disk(C) and click on Program Files(x86).
- Find the file name Minecraft and click on it.
- Then again fine the file name uninstall with the game icon and double click on it to uninstall the game.
- Now Download and Install the latest version of Minecraft again.
So, these were the best solutions we could get for you and we hope that you try them all to fix OpenGL Error 1281.
And let us know which solution best worked for you in the comments section below.
Is OpenGL error 1281 Bad?
OpenGL error 1281 is not bad for Minecraft as it helps the game to run faster and smoother so, all it’s concerned with is Minecraft’s performance.
Can I play Minecraft without OpenGL?
No. you cannot play Minecraft normally without OpenGL so, make sure you have a dedicated GPU that runs the OpenGL.
Why am I getting an OpenGL error?
You might be getting OpenGL error due to outdated drivers so, it’s best to update your driver and then launch Minecraft.