“Unfortunately, IMS Service Has Stopped” on Android
You may see this error message pop up on your Samsung phone?
You would have wondered What does IMS service stopped mean? Is IMS safe? And How to fix it?
What’s IMS Service?
IMS is a general-purpose, open industry standard for voices and multimedia communications over packet-based IP networks. It serves technologies like voice IP (VoIP), Push-To-Talk (PTT). Push-To-View. Video calling and video Sharing.
The error usually occurs on Samsung’s Android Phone (S9 /J3 /Note5 /J7). You can fix it quickly by following these 5 solutions:
5 Solutions to Fix Unfortunately, IMS Service Stopped On Android
IMS service (IP Multimedia Subsystem) is used by Samsung’s UI that enables communication like voice, text, pictures.
Multiple reasons can bring this error up like an older Android version, or outdated applications. The cache is one of the biggest reasons as well, but one thing is for sure, it can be fixed.
You can repair/enable IMS service issue with the following steps:
Solution 1: Boot Your Device In Safe Mode.
Check if new installations of third-party apps are causing an issue. Starting the phone in safe mode can solve this issue because only pre-installed applications are allowed to run. To Boot in Safe Mode:
- First press the power button and switch off your phone.
- Once the device is turned off, press the Power button to turn it on.
- For Samsung phones: Press and hold the volume down button.
- Keep on holding it until safe mode appears.
- Now tap on Safe mode to launch your phone in safe mode.
The method to launch your phone in safe mode is similar in other Android phones such as Huawei/Xiaomi/LG as well.
Solution 2: Update to Fix IMS Service Has Stopped
Update your Android Phone to the latest version because sometimes this happens occurs due to the old version of the software, To update your phone follow the given steps below:
- First, go your Settings on your phone
- Scroll down to Software Update.
- Tap on Download and install.
- If any update is available then it will show you the Download Now option.
- After downloading a confirmation message will occur, you have to click Yes and your phone will restart.
Now your phone will be updated to the latest version, you can check if the error still exists or it has been solved.
Solution 3: Update your apps to the latest version.
If your error still exists then you might have to update all your apps.
We recommend to enable auto-updates as you get to enjoy the latest version as well, and a newer update in most cases solve all the previous bugs/errors.
Update all your apps by:
- Go to Google Play Store on your Android Phone
- Then, tap on the Menu button and choose My Apps & Games
- Tap the Updates option and choose Refresh icon
- Now, tap on the Update All option, and all your applications will be updated one by one.
- Check if the IMS Service Has Stopped Popup occurs again
Solution 4: Remove Message App Data And Cache
If the issue still exists it is possibly due to cached data of the messaging app, then you will need to clear the cache and data of the Messages app by following the steps:
- Press and hold the Message app until quick options appear.
- Click on App info
- Go to Storage
- Click on Clear Cache and confirm
- Click on Clear Data and confirm it
- Now Reboot your phone and check if the error is still occurring.
Solution 5: Do Factory Reset of Phone
Still unable to fix “Unfortunately, IMS Service Has Stopped”? then you have to perform a factory reset, this will return your phone to its original condition, make sure you backup your data before performing the factory reset your phone
- First Turn Off your Android Phone.
- Press Volume Up/Down and Power Button.
- Hold them until you see Recovery Menu on your Android phone.
- Then Go to Wipe Data/Factory Reset by using the Volume Down button.
- Use the Power button to choose it.
- Select Yes by using the Volume Down button and then the Power button to confirm.
- Wait until the entire process is finished.
- After it’s done. choose the Reboot System Now Via power button.
The above solutions are very simple and easily help you solve your Android phone error for “Unfortunately, IMS service has been stopped”.
Let me know which solution worked for you in fixing IMS Service Has Stopped!