Steam Deck is possibly one of the most anticipated handheld consoles but as it is pretty new, the console gets a lot of errors/issues and one of the very common errors is Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam.
If you are also having the same issue as the user below who reported this on Reddit.
Then, we have tried 5 quick fixes for you to overcome Steam Deck Stuck in a loop.
Solution 1: Force Reboot Steam Deck
The first thing you need to do is force reboot your console to overcome Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam.
Just follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button for at least 12 seconds
- Press the power button once to turn the console back on and try connecting the charger to check if Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam is fixed.
Now moving on to the next solution to fix Steam Deck Stuck in a loop.
Read More: How To Connect AirPods To Your Steam Deck?
Solution 2: Restart your Router
Restarting your router will allow you to establish a new connection with your ISP without any bugs and help you fix “Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam”
Just follow the steps below:
- Turn off your router completely by taking out the power cable from the power switch
- Now leave it for 2 minutes and then plug it back in
- And check for your internet connection.
Best Routers To Buy
After checking the internet connection if you are still facing Steam Deck Stuck in a loop then continue to the next solution.
Solution 3: Reset Steam Deck/Re-image
This solution has worked for many users in fixing Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam as re-imaging will wipe all user info, installed games, applications, or operating systems, and replace them with stock SteamOS.
You need to have a USB with 8GB minimum space and download the recovery image from the Steam store in the USB before starting the solution.
- If you have a Windows PC you need to use the Rufus utility and select the recovery file and write it to your USB drive.
- When it’s done, select Close and eject the drive.
- On Linux OS you can use Balena Etcher to write the recovery file to your USB drive.
- Or else you can do it with a simple command line
- Find the file in the downloads with the help of cd /home/USERNAME/Downloads
- Now paste sudo lsblk to find the name of your USB drive and you can recognize it by the size of your USB.
- Paste this line of code to write the recovery file: bzcat steamdeck-recovery-1.img.bz2 | dd if=/dev/stdin of=/dev/sdX oflag=sync status=progress bs=128M
- Set /dev/sdX to the USB device you inserted which is the name you found.
- Use a USB-C adapter or hub to plug the boot disk in.
- Now hold the Volume Down and the Power Button until you hear the chime, and you’ll be booted into the Boot Manager.
- And boot from the EFI USB Device.
- Your screen will go black during the booting process but you need to wait.
- Once booted you will be in a desktop environment, you can navigate using the trackpad and trigger.
- And you will be able to reset/re-image the Steam Deck
If this is also not helping then it’s sadly a hardware issue you are facing, and the upcoming solutions are your last resort probably.
Read More: Super EASY Guide: Play Spotify On Steam Deck
Solution 4: Contact Steam Deck Support
If you cannot get rid of the Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam after re-imaging, or force rebooting, you should contact Steam Deck support and ask them to perform the necessary repairs on the console.
Solution 5: RMA the device
If the steam deck support couldn’t help you sort out the issue, the last way you can save your steam deck is to send it for repair and it’s a simple process if you live in a supported region.
Let me know what fixed the Steam Deck Stuck on Shutting down Steam in the comments section below.