Players of Destiny 2 are encountering an error labeled as “Error Code: Cat” when trying to launch the game. The error message states that the Destiny 2 servers are currently unavailable and suggests checking for updates and visiting the website to help Bungie for more information and assistance with resolving the issue.
Here is one of the players sharing their experience on Reddit:
“Cat” error code on PS5?
by u/Tnix26 in DestinyTheGame
Don’t worry about it!
The CPU Guide brings you the best working solution to solve Destiny 2 Lightfall Error Code CAT on PS5.
The “CAT” error code in Destiny 2 on PS5 is related to a problem with your network connection. Here are some possible causes for the error:
- Network issues: The error may be caused by a problem with your internet connection or network configuration. Make sure that your network connection is stable and that you have a strong signal. You may also want to try resetting your modem or router.
- Server maintenance: Sometimes, Destiny 2 servers undergo maintenance which can cause the CAT error code to appear. You can check the official Bungie Help Twitter account or website for any announcements about server maintenance.
- Outdated Game: Outdated versions can also cause the “CAT” error code to appear in Destiny 2 on PS5. If your game is not updated to the latest version, it may be incompatible with the current version of the game servers, which can result in connection issues and the CAT error code.
Solution 1: Restart Destiny 2
Whenever you encounter Error CAT on Destiny 2 or even if it’s a game bug/glitch, you should try restarting your PS5.
Restarting the console will eliminate any temporary errors/glitches occurring due to the old/corrupted cache.
So, here is how you can restart your PS5:
- Press the PlayStation (PS) button on your controller.
- From the menu shown, Select the Power option (right-most)
- From the small menu that will appear on the power icon, select the last option “Restart PS5”
- While your PS5 restarts, don’t unplug any cord to avoid any hardware failure.
Here’s a supporting video to restart PS5 for your ease:
Solution 2: Enable Automatic Game Updates on PS5
It’s possible that you might have missed the new update notification of Destiny 2 Lightfall and an older version of the game can be causing these issues.
To avoid such situations and besides updating each game manually, we can set PS5 to update games automatically.
Usually, they are set to automatic updates by default to avoid error code CAT.
Here are 8 steps you can follow to allow automatic game updates on PS5:
- From the PS5 Homepage, go to the gear icon located in the top right corner to access PS5 settings.
- Select System
- In the System window, select Power Saving from the left sidebar and choose Features Available in Rest Mode from the expanded menu at the right.
- Toggle “Stay Connected to the Internet“
Halfway through, we have enabled PS5 to stay connected to the internet while in rest mode as games usually don’t update when the PS5 is actively being used. So, let’s enable automatic game updates.
- Go back to the main settings menu that you opened from the gear icon.
- Scroll down and select “Saved Data and Game/App Settings“
- In the Saved Data and Game/App Settings window, select Automatic Updates from the left sidebar
- Toggle both the “Auto-Download” and “Auto-Install in Rest Mode” options in the expanded menu at the right.
Now, your PS5 will be able to download updates over your internet whenever they would be available. Even if your PS5 is in rest mode, your Destiny 2 Lightfall will remain up-to-date.
A helpful video for you to never miss an update!
Solution 3: Update Your PS5 Firmware
Sony releases new updates regularly to remain up-to-date with upcoming bugs and issues users face either while playing Destiny 2 Lightfall or some random bugs.
It’s highly recommended to have updated PS5 firmware. You can enable automatic updates and check for them manually as well.
There are 2 ways to update PS5 firmware:
- Through USB
This way you would need to download the update over the internet into a USB which is an inconvenient way than PlayStation updating itself.
- Through Internet
PlayStation searches for an update itself, downloads it, and installs it for you.
By default, automatic updates are enabled, and in case you are not sure, here’s how you can check if there’s a new update available and how to enable automatic updates on PS5 too using PS5 UI.
NOTE: Make sure the PS5 is connected to the internet.
- From the PS5 homepage, access Settings from the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Go to System
- Click on System Software from the left menu and choose the second option: System Software Update and Settings
- From the 2 options, select Update Using Internet.
- Now, wait for the system to check for updates and if it’s updating don’t try to turn off your PS5. In this case, the PS5 was already up-to-date.
Your PS5 should be with its latest update by now, and you can try running Destiny 2 to see if it’s still error code CAT.
And if you want a video guide, here’s a quick video to update your PS5:
Solution 4: Rebuild PS5 Database
Rebuilding Database on PS5 allows the PS5 to sort out any issues related to its drive that are causing issues with your game.
- Press and hold the power button until you hear the second beep. This will boot your PS5 in Safe Mode.
- Connect the PS5 DualSense controller to a USB cable and press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- It may take a moment to display Safe Mode options. Select option 5: “Clear Cache and Rebuild Database“
- Select the second option: “Rebuild Database“
- Wait for the process to complete and your process will boot back.
This usually doesn’t take much time and here’s a demo video where we rebuild the database on our PS5 taking less than a minute and making it feel faster too.
Solution 5: Delete Saved Game Data
Sometimes, your game’s saved data can have some issues, and deleting it can resolve the Error CAT.
1. Before deleting the data, try running a new game and see if it works, then there’s a bug in your saved data.
2. If you are a PlayStation Plus member, backup your data or download it to a flash drive to restore it later and not lose your progress.
3. Saved data of PS5 games only can be uploaded to a flash drive.
3. Keep it as one of the final solutions before you erase the saved data of Destiny 2 Lightfall.
Once you are sure, here are the steps to delete PS5 Saved Game Data on PS5.
- Go to Settings by pressing the X button on the gear icon in the top menu.
- Now scroll down to Saved Data and Game/App Settings and open it by pressing the X button.
- Then click on Saved Data (PS5) for PS5 Games OR Saved Data (PS4) for PS4 Games.
- Open Console Storage from the expanded menu of your selected option.
- If you are a PlayStation Plus member, save your game data by uploading it from the first option.
- Go to Delete from the top 2 tabs and then find your game that’s Error CAT.
- Select your game and press the Delete button at the bottom of the right sidebar to delete the saved data of Destiny 2.
- Check if the game works and try restoring your game by using the Sync Saved Data option visible in step 4.
A helpful and short video where we delete saved game data of a PS4 game on PS5.
Solution 6: Delete and Reinstall Destiny 2
The game file itself can be a suspected issue too and we can only know by deleting and reinstalling it. You’d have to sacrifice your time and internet speed for a while but let’s hope you resolve Destiny 2 Lightfall after this.
To reinstall Destiny 2 Lightfall, follow the steps below:
- Go to PS5 settings.
- Scroll down to Select Storage.
- Then select Console storage from the left sidebar and go to Games and Apps in the expanded menu.
- Now you will see a list of installed games and applications where you will select Destiny 2 Lightfall from the game list and press the Delete button at the bottom right.
- Once your game is deleted, you need to reinstall it. If it’s a disc you own, you would directly insert it, else if you have purchased a digital edition, you need to go to Game Library (last option) from the Games home screen
- Select Your Collection from the three options under Game Library to search for your game and download it.
Some options can be difficult to navigate, so we have created a video for your ease where we delete a game and reinstall it.
Solution 7: Reset PS5
This is the final resort that you can take before you contact PlayStation and you have tried all other fixes to play Destiny 2 Lightfall. Being a PlayStation Plus member would make this easy for you as you would be able to save all your game’s progress which is really necessary for the hours of work that have been put in.
Resetting PS5 will completely wipe off everything from the console whether it’s game, save data, or any other content.
So its best to backup data first on your cloud storage and here’s how you can do it:
- Go to Settings and then select Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
- Now choose the type of data you want to backup:
- PS5 Data:
Select Saved Data (PS5) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS4 Data
Select Saved Data (PS4) > Console Storage and in the next Screen Upload to Cloud Storage
- PS5 Data:
- And PS5 will upload your saved game data.
After backing up your data, now you can Reset your PS5:
- Go to Settings
- Then go to System
- Select System Software from the left menu and Reset Options (the last item in the expanded menu)
- Select Reset Your Console and follow the on-screen instructions. Wait until PS5 will restart and you are directed to the setup process.
Here’s a video of this process.
If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to share your experience with us in the comments section down below or you can reach us on our social handles.