While the game has received high praise for its captivating storyline, graphics, and gameplay, some PC players have reported encountering a frustrating error known as “Content File Locked” while trying to download or update the new patch in the game. This error prevents players from accessing the game’s files, and it can be especially frustrating for those eager to jump into the immersive world of The Last of Us.
In this article, we’ll explore the causes of the Content File Locked error and provide some potential solutions for players looking to get back to playing the game.
There are several possible causes for the “Content File Locked” error in The Last of Us Part 1 on Steam. Some of the most common causes include:
- Anti-virus software: The game’s files may be blocked by anti-virus software running on the player’s computer, preventing Steam from accessing and updating them.
- Running programs: Other programs running on the player’s computer, such as file managers or web browsers, may be accessing the game’s files and preventing Steam from making changes to them.
- Steam updates: If Steam itself is updating in the background while the player is trying to download or update The Last of Us Part 1, this can cause conflicts and result in the “Content File Locked” error.
- Steam file permissions: Sometimes, Steam may not have the necessary permissions to access and modify the game’s files, leading to the “Content File Locked” error.
- Corrupted files: In some cases, the game’s files may become corrupted or incomplete, resulting in the “Content File Locked” error.
Solution 1: Restart the PC
When you experience a Steam Content File Locked Error or any bug in your game, it’s recommended to start by restarting the computer before attempting any other fixes. This is because restarting the computer can resolve any temporary errors caused by outdated cookies and cache or conflicts with other software on your system. Simply restarting the PC
Here is the best PC build for TLOU you can use
Solution 2: Close Unwanted Programs on PC
If there are too many programs running in the background, using too much internet/RAM/Disk can cause The Last Of Us Part 1 Content File Locked Error on Windows 11.
Closing unwanted programs will help you eliminate the crashing issue on your PC.
So, let’s close unwanted programs:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + ESC keys to open Task Manager
- Now check which program is using more Network
- Right-click on that program and select End task
- And check if the crash is solved or not.
Read more: The Last of Us Part I v184.108.40.206 Patch Notes: Performance and Stability Enhancements Rolled Out for PC
Solution 3: Verify the Game Files On Steam PC
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted, which eventually causes a crashing issue on The Last Of Us Part 1 on PC.
Verify the Game File in Steam
Follow the steps to verify the game file on steam software:
- Launch the Steam Software
- Now login in the steam
- Navigate to the library
- Select the game and right-click on the game
- Now select properties
- Now click on the “Local file” Option
- A further menu will open
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of the Game Cache“
- Now the software is verifying the files, and this will take some time.
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted that eventually causing errors on steam.
Read more: FIX: The Last Of Us Part 1 Controller NOT Working On PC
Solution 4: Run Command Prompt
A possible solution that has been effective for many Steam users is to run the command “netsh winsock reset.” This command may help resolve the “Content File Locked” error. To see if this fix works for your issue, please follow the instructions below:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard and type Command Prompt
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator
- Now type
netsh winsock reset
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard
Your Steam application should now be functioning correctly, and you should be able to enjoy playing your game without encountering the “Content File Locked” error.
Solution 4: Disable Antivirus Software
In some cases, the third-party antivirus software installed on a computer may prevent the game The Last Of Us Part 1 from running properly.
So, you need to disable the antivirus for a few minutes to check if the antivirus is causing Steam Content File Locked Error on The Last Of Us Part 1.
In order, to disable the antivirus follow the step below :
- Select the arrow button on the taskbar a Small menu will open.
- Then click left on the Avast antivirus icon.
- The setting menu will open and select “Avast shield control“
- In a further menu, you will select the “10 minutes option“
- Now restart the game.
If the issue persists then proceed to the next solution.
Solution 5: Update Graphics Card Driver Via Windows Update
Updating your graphics card driver is an important step in ensuring your computer is running smoothly and efficiently. With the latest driver updates, you can improve your system’s performance, fix any bugs, and enjoy new features.
In this solution, we will be showing you how to update your graphics card driver using Windows Update, a simple method for keeping your drivers up to date. So, let’s get started!
Here is how you can update drivers via optional updates on Windows 11:
- Click on the Windows icon
- Click on the Settings icon
- A new window will pop up
- Select Windows Update from the left menu
- The new window will pop up
- Now select Advanced options
- Click on Optional updates
- A new window will open
- Click on the drop-down button for Driver updates
- Now, select your desired drivers
- Now press the Download & Install button
If you cannot update your drivers through Windows Update, then you can try updating the Graphics Drivers through Device Manager to fix The Last Of Us Part 1 that Steam Content File Locked Error.
Solution 6: Update Graphic Drivers Via Device Manager
Updating your graphics card driver is essential for ensuring optimal performance and compatibility with the latest software and games. Updating your graphics card driver can be done via the Device Manager in Windows and is a straightforward process that can be completed in just a few steps.
Here is how you can update drivers through Device Manager:
- Click on the Search icon
- Type Device Manager
- Click to open Device Manager
- Then select the Display adapters
- A further menu will open
- Right-click on the graphic card name
- Click on the Update driver
Solution 7: Check for Driver Updates of GPU/Video Cards of Different Company
An issue that can cause the Steam Content File Locked error in The Last Of Us Part 1 is outdated GPU drivers. When the video card drivers are not up to date, the GPU cannot keep up with modern gaming and may cause crashes. To resolve this, we suggest updating the video card drivers. Direct links to the main GPU manufacturers can be found below.
If you still have any queries or suggestions, share your experience with us in the comments section below.