The Last of Us is a critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and released in 2013 for PlayStation 3. It was later remastered for PlayStation 4 in 2020. The game was released on PS5 before recently getting released on PC which received backlash over its poor optimization.
Many users have reported multiple issues like facing a black screen issue while launching or playing the game regardless of the PC build you are using for TLOU. There are several solutions that can help resolve the problem.
In this article, we will explore the possible reasons for the black screen in TLOU on Windows 11/10 PC and provide steps to fix it.
What Causes The Last of Us Part 1 Black Screen Issue on Windows 11/10?
The black screen issue in The Last of Us Part 1 on Windows 11/10 can be caused by several factors. Here are some of the common causes and their corresponding solutions:
- Graphics card drivers: If your graphics card drivers are outdated or incompatible with the game, it can cause the black screen issue. To fix this, you can try updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version.
- Resolution and refresh rate: The game may not be compatible with your display’s resolution or refresh rate. Try lowering your resolution and refresh rate in the game settings to see if it resolves the issue.
- Antivirus or firewall: Your antivirus or firewall may be blocking the game from running properly, causing the black screen issue. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall to see if it resolves the issue.
- Game files: The game files may be corrupted or missing, causing the black screen issue. You can try verifying the game files through the game launcher or re-installing the game.
Solution 1: Restart the PC
When you experience a Black Screen issue or any bug in your game, it’s recommended to start by restarting the computer before attempting any other fixes. This is because restarting the computer can resolve any temporary errors caused by outdated cookies and cache or conflicts with other software on your system. Simply restarting the PC can fix it.
Solution 2: Close Unwanted Programs on PC
Closing unwanted programs will help you eliminate the Black screen after startup on your PC.
So, let’s close unwanted programs:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + ESC keys to open Task Manager
- Now check which program is using more Network
- Right-click on that program and select End task
- And check if the crash is solved or not.
Solution 3: Update Graphics Card Driver Via Windows Update PC
Updating your graphics card driver is an important step in ensuring your computer is running smoothly and efficiently. With the latest driver updates, you can improve your system’s performance, fix any bugs, and enjoy new features.
In this solution, we will be showing you how to update your graphics card driver using Windows Update, a simple and straightforward method for keeping your drivers up to date.
So, let’s get started!
Here is how you can update drivers via optional updates on Windows 11:
- Click on the Windows icon
- Click on the Settings icon
- A new window will pop up
- Select Windows Update from the left menu
- The new window will pop up
- Now select Advanced options
- Click on Optional updates
- A new window will open
- Click on the drop-down button for Driver updates
- Now, select your desired drivers
- Now press the Download & Install button
If you cannot update your drivers through Windows Update, then you can try updating the Graphics Drivers through Device Manager to fix The Last of Us Part 1 black screen issue.
Solution 4: Update Graphic Drivers Via Device Manager PC
Updating your graphics card driver is essential for ensuring optimal performance and compatibility with the latest software and games. Updating your graphics card driver can be done via the Device Manager in Windows and is a straightforward process that can be completed in just a few steps.
Here is how you can update drivers through Device Manager:
- Click on the Search icon
- Type Device Manager
- Click to open Device Manager
- Then select the Display adapters
- A further menu will open
- Right-click on the graphic card name
- Click on the Update driver
Solution 5: Check for Driver’s Updates of GPU/Video Cards of Different Company PC
An issue that can cause crashes in The Last of Us Part 1 is outdated GPU drivers. When the video card drivers are not up to date, the GPU cannot keep up with modern gaming and may cause crashes. To resolve this, we suggest updating the video card drivers. Direct links to the main GPU manufacturers can be found below.
If the above solution didn’t work out for you, then try the next solution.
Solution 6: Verify the Game Files On Steam PC
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted, which eventually causes a Black screen issue on “The Last of Us Part 1 on PC.”
Verify the Game File in Steam
Follow the steps to verify the game file on steam software:
- Launch the Steam Software
- Now login in the steam
- Navigate to the library
- Select the game and right-click on the game
- Now select properties
- Now click on the “Local file” Option
- A further menu will open
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of the Game Cache“
- Now the software is verifying the files, and this will take some time.
Sometimes the game file will get corrupted or get deleted that eventually causing a Black screen issue on steam.
Solution 7: Disable the Discord Overlays
Sometimes third-party apps might interfere in the game and cause The Last of Us Part 1 Black Screen Issue. The overlays app is widely used to enhance the multiplayer experience in the game. But these apps also need more resources to run smoothly in the background.
So, overlay apps might cause the Black Screen Issue. To prevent any errors further we have to disable the overlays apps that are running on your PC in my case I am going to disable the discord overlays.
Here is how you can disable the Discord Overlay:
- Open the Discord
- Click on the gear Icon to Open “Users Settings“
- Find Activity settings from the left pane
- Click on the “Game Overlay” option
- Go to Enable in-game overlay option
- Click on the toggle to disable it
Solution 8: Change the Power Settings
Power settings are an essential aspect of any modern computer’s performance optimization. When your PC’s power plan is set to the Balanced option plan, it may provide less power to a game, which can cause game lag or game crashes on startup.
Whether you’re using Windows, macOS, or any other operating system, adjusting power settings is crucial to ensure optimal performance and energy usage. In this guide, we will discuss how to change power settings on your computer and help you optimize your PC’s power usage to suit your needs and prevent The Last of Us Part 1 Screen issue.
How do I change power settings in Windows 11?
- Go to the Control Panel
- Select the View option “Large Icon“
- Now find “Power Options” and click on it
- Choose your Power Plan “High Performance“
- If there is no other option expect a “Balanced “
- Then navigate to the left menu
- Select “Create a power plan“
- A new window will open
- Select the power plan to “High Performance“
- And click on Next
- The new power plan is available.
Solution 9: Disable Antivirus Software PC
In some cases, the third-party antivirus software installed on a computer may prevent the game The Last of Us Part 1 from running properly.
So, you need to disable the antivirus for a few minutes to check if the antivirus is causing Black screen on The Last of Us Part 1.
In order, to disable the antivirus follow the step below :
- Select the arrow button on the taskbar a Small menu will open.
- Then click left on the Avast antivirus icon.
- The setting menu will open and select “Avast shield control“
- In a further menu, you will select the “10 minutes option“
- Now restart the game.
If you still have any queries or suggestions, share your experience with us in the comments section below.