Figuring out How to install the Epic Games launcher on Steam Deck?
Although the Steam Deck library has hundreds of verified games and those users who are addicted to Epic’s weekly giveaways over the last two years, want the Epic games launcher on their Steam Deck.
As Epic doesn’t have an official launcher for Linux but it’s kinda tricky to install.
But you don’t need to worry now as we have found an easy and simple way around for you to play games from your Epic library on Steam Deck.
So, continue reading the guide below to install the Epic Games Launcher on Steam Deck.
Can you use Epic Games launcher on Steam Deck?
A user on Reddit also asked the same question and the answer is Yes you can use the Epic Games launcher on Steam Deck.
How To Install the Epic Games Launcher on Steam Deck?
Also, the anti-cheat games won’t work like Fortnite.
Here’s how to install the Epic Games Launcher on Steam Deck:
- Hold the Steam Deck power button to bring up the power men.
- Then select Switch to Desktop to switch over to the Linux desktop.
- Make sure the desktop version of Steam is running.
- Now download the Windows Epic Games launcher from the official store.
- After downloading don’t open the launcher.
- Open the Steam app and go to the top menu and follow this path: Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library
- A pop-up window will appear and navigate to your Downloads folder and select that EpicInstaller-13.0.0.msi file.
- After clicking on Add Selected Programs, look for the Epic installer in your game library.
- Right-click on it and select Properties > Compatibility.
- Check the box that says Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool and select the latest stable version of Proton.
- And then double-click on the EpicInstaller-13.0.0.msi to run the Epic Games installer.
- After a short time a pop-up windows will apppear and click on the Install button.
- You’ve successfully installed the Windows version of the Epic Games Launcher inside SteamOS.
Now comes the final and a little bit tricky part after which you will be able to make use of the Epic Games launcher.
- You need to find the folder within Steamapps where the Epic launcher is installed and if you haven’t added any other non-Steam games, it should be pretty easy to find.
- If you’ve left everything at the default settings, it should be here: “/home/doorstop/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/[numerical_identifier]/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/Launcher/Portal/Binaries/Win32/EpicGamesLauncher.exe”
- After finding the Epic Games installer right-click > Copy Location.
- Now look for the Epic installer in your game library and rigt-click on it and select Properties.
- Click on SHORTCUT and in the TAREGET box past the location but re-add the quotation marks at the beginning and end.
- Do the same for the Start In field, but delete EpicGamesLauncher.exe from the end.
- After saving it you can launch the Epic Games installer.
- You can log out of the Steam Deck desktop mode and log in to the Steam Deck UI.
- Now you will be ready to launch the Epic Games Store from the Steam Deck. The shortcut is called EpicInstaller by default.
If you tried the above steps you will surely be able to install the Epic Games Launcher on Steam Deck. Just to let you know that you will find it a little bit sluggish but you’re now free to install games and run them from your launcher within a launcher.
Also, there will be more efficient ways to play Epics Games on Steam Deck soon.
In case you encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to write your queries down below in the comment section.
We will be happy to assist!